OV Environmental Justice Group Minutes - May 16
OV EJ meeting May 16, 2012
Present: Wendy, Suresh, Jessie, Oliver, Denise, Ananda, Virginia, Carla, Eric D., Tosh, Eric L
Zero Waste Solutions Path
Ananda presented on solutions path to zero waste with good jobs. GVRD is considering proposal for a second incinerator for $600m to $1b; zero waste strategy would provide far more jobs. Community opposition has blocked most incinerator proposals in NA over last decade, we can do it too!
OV EJ Documents
Vision / mission / framework documents booklet discussed. Ready to share with allies minor edits as discussed. Thanks to Wendy for latest improvements.
Report back on non-violent communications course. 8 people participated, and it went very well. Tosh suggested that it be offered to OV affinity groups. It is primarily about communications within movements.
VTACC at next meeting:
Decision: Block off a period of time to discuss how we can work together – 20 to 30 min?
Action: Tosh, Jessie, and Steve to call a media coordination meeting. Agenda to include newsletter list, twitter, web site, and youtube channel.
Vidrius - June 1 4-7pm at VAG
Need to set up table and have banners, buttons, and leaflets. Steve to do draft leaflet. Jessie to do sign up list. Who can set up? Meet at 3:30 @ w2? Tosh can provide transportation and meet at W2 on June 1st, but still need someone to do heavy lifting and construction; Denise and Suresh volunteered to attend the info booth.
Free market – Next one is Sunday May 27 12:30 – 4.
Should have a table for OV EJ group. Publicize June 1st event? Eric D. to coordinate.
June 16 Delta Port Action.
Bob and Sema are organizing. Decision to endorse, and help with publicity. Eric D. to circulate info about fundraising dinner.
Considerable valuable discussion, no firm conclusions. Agreement we must have code of conduct completed before we call a Special Assembly. Tosh to send Oliver and Wendy what's been passed by GA so far. TBC